Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Smolov: Week 1, Days 1 & 2

I started the Smolov base cycle this week. It consists of: Day 1 = 70%1RM x 4 x 9, Day 2 = 75% x 5 x 7, Day 3 = 80% x 7 x 5, and Day 4 = 85% x 10 x 3. I started this after a week of relatively no training. The reason I am doing this program is obviously to increase my squat, but also because I tweaked my elbow in the OH state meet...so I'll be giving my elbow some much needed rest for this cycle. I am still doing the weightlifting movements, but they are very low intensity and volume. It will be very interesting to see how my body adapts to this very new training stimulus. I have squatted up to 4 days/wk before, but that was a mix of back and front squats. This time it is all back squats. Train hard, train smart!

1 comment:

  1. Days 3 & 4

    The third and fourth days were extremely tough, but the soreness was not as bad as the second day. My body is slowly getting used to the volume. On the fourth day I was not able to use the weight I was supposed to (129kg) because I was so fatigued from the day before. Instead, I used 125kg for all 10 sets. The second week should be better (even though I am adding 10kg on each day).

    ReplyDelete