Monday, November 15, 2010

Kind-of- Active Rest

This past weekend I made a trip to my best friend's 100 acre farm in Southern Ohio (Coshocton county). We were going bow hunting for deer, which is a close second to my passion for weightlifting. His farm is loaded with deer and I always have a blast down there. I hunted Saturday morning and then helped mill some trees the rest of the daylight hours. I hunted most of Sunday as well. In essence, this was a good use for active rest. Carrying around lumber isn't the most taxing activity, but it definitely gets the blood pumping. To go along with this, the farm's acreage consists of hills. Walking these extremely steep hills helped my legs recover from the previous week of heavy training (I'll post the training log from last week soon). Not only was this a good few days to recover physically from training, but it also gave me time away from the platform psychologically. My favorite place to ponder things is in a treestand. To me, there is no better place to think about things and relax than in a treestand. The peacefulness cannot be matched. So, next time you want to recover, both physically and psychologically, try taking up some time in the deer woods. Oh, and if you were wondering, I didn't get a shot this trip. That doesn't really matter to me as much as it used to though. I just enjoy being in the wilderness away from the city life.

No comments:

Post a Comment