Thursday, September 16, 2010

Training to the Beat of a Different Drum

Recently I've been helping with the training of the BGSU sprinters and throwers. This has been an excellent experience for me. This marks the first time I have worked in a college setting, though I have worked with several college athletes in the private setting. The college setting is much different. There are many rules that must be followed that the private sector has no need to even have, such as wearing the proper colors within the facility. I find this to be annoying, but at the same time, respectful and unifying. I can understand why this rule is in place and I'm sure every college and many professional team settings have this same rule. Another difference is the time constraint. This is the main reason why I wanted to get experience in the college sector. To this point in my career, I have not been handcuffed to the extreme with time constraints. I wanted to see just how the program was put together with the limited time around the athletes' class schedule, practice, and NCAA regulations on time allowed within the weight room. It is going great so far, and the athletes seem to be receptive to my help. I'm enjoying the new training methods I'm learning as well. We were using extreme, unorthodox, full-body circuits for the last few weeks. Though these circuits would be thought of as endurance-type sessions, they have absolutely increased the work capacity and strength of these athletes. Now we're transitioning into classic strength methods. This includes increased intensity (weight used) and rest with decreasing repetitions and volume. It's going to be fun to see where the training will go from here. I'm excited to watch as these girls progress their strength and power. Go Falcons!

No comments:

Post a Comment